Thursday, November 18, 2010

Only One Life, ’Twill Soon Be Past...

Janie often quoted this little poem, which we first heard in John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life series (listen to him speak here, but prepare to have your mind blown).

"Only one life,’twill soon be past, 
Only what’s done for Christ will last."

We even thought of (but never got around to) having Barbie Carr calligraphize it (I know, I made that up) on our living room wall... over the opening to the kitchen.


It does put a certain perspective on everything you decide to say, think, and do, doesn't it? Janie thought so, and those of you who knew her can probably remember her quoting it to you.


So imagine how pleasantly surprised I was tonight, while browsing at sermonindex.net, to discover that there is another (seemingly anonymous) verse!


"Only one life, ’twill soon be past, 
Only what’s done for Christ will last.
And when I am dying, how happy I'll be
if the lamp of my life has been burned out for thee!"

I like that very much, especially since it was so special to Janie & I...though I'm sure she's more than happy now to have missed it since she's got the real thing and not just a verse, eh?


I wondered, however, if there was even more to it....maybe these two little lines are part of an even larger poem. So I did what any self-respecting blogger (there's an oxymoron haha) would do: I googled it. And I found that there is indeed more, though not with that second verse that I just discovered. This version was penned by missionary Charles Thomas Studd (1860-1931). It turns out Studd was a winning cricket player in Victorian England. He was offered a life of luxury and, I think, fame of sorts for his expertise. He met Jesus, however, and gave it all up to become a missionary! It turns out that there is a book about C.T. Studd, called, "Cricketeer and Pioneer." You can get it for me at Amazon.

I wonder if he had heard that little refrain somewhere (he says so in the first line), or if he was just being artsy? Whichever, it is an enduring, thought-provoking, and, if we'd let it be, life-changing verse.

****

“Two little lines I heard one day,Traveling along life’s busy way;
Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done;
Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat;
Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice
Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears;
Each with its clays I must fulfill, living for self or in His will;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score;
When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep;
Faithful and true what e’er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life;
Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn;
Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne;
Only one life, “twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say,”Thy will be done;”
And when at last I’ll hear the call, I know I’ll say “twas worth it all;”
Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.”

**** 

I sense, now more than ever with Janie gone to heaven, the tug of this simple verse.

Only one life,’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

2 comments:

  1. (with a grin)... thanks for being that self-respectin' blogger and googling this. What a find! And now I can enjoy it too. Seriously, thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your welcome Tim....I liked your post too....

    ReplyDelete

Comment