Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This Side

An old favorite: 'This Side' by Nickel Creek...embedding is of course disabled so just see it at Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nneEIX59I8 

Go ahead, tell me I'm silly. Tell me I'm crazy and I'm reading too much into it...but I
can't stop thinking of the metaphor and maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this but...

Yeah, they will seem a little weird at first, playing and singing with their faces seemingly up to a wall...until you see that they see something you can't. But then when you do finally see it...you see they weren't crazy after all and, well, you want 'in' pretty badly yourself. If there were really people who perform before those in another world (say, heaven...?), well then I want to be that guy in the tie...the one who jumped in first - head first.

"Sheesh, Chris, why can't you just listen to a song??" Yeah, I know...

Anyway, here's something the band's mandolin player, Chris Thile, said about their faith and their music:
"We're all Christians, although we're not a Christian band, per se. The most important thing to us is that we feel that we've been given a gift from God of being able to perform and to record for people. We basically just want to use that gift as we feel God would have us use it. Even if a song isn't blatantly Christian or isn't a hymn, it doesn't mean it doesn't have that feeling in it. Some people pick up on that. The people that want to, hopefully, do. The people that don't, maybe they'll get something from it anyway." (from CMT News, 20 Questions With Nickel Creek)

This Side
One day you'll see her and you'll know what I mean.
Take her or leave her she will still be the same.
She'll not try to buy you with her time.
But nothing's the same as you will see when she's gone.

It's foreign on this side and I'll not leave my home again.
There's no place to hide and I'm nothing but scared.

You dream of colors that have never been made.
You imagine songs that have never been played.
(They will try) They will try to buy you and your mind.
But only the curious have something to find.

It's foreign on this side and the truth is a bitter friend.
Reasons few have I to go back again.

Your first dawn blinded you left you cursing the day.
Entrance is crucial and it's not without pain.
(There's no path) There's no path to follow once you're there,
Just climb up the slide and then you'll slide down the stairs.

It's foreign on this side (It's foreign on this side) but it feels like I'm home again.
There's no place to hide but I don't think I'm scared.
There's no place to hide but I don't think I'm scared. (There's no place to hide)
There's no place to hide but I don't think I'm scared.

1 comment:

  1. Chris - You continue to lift me up with your contagious hope. Of course not "Sheesh can't you just listen to a song"!! I know you better than that! Your Godly perspective restores my soul so often.
    -c

    ReplyDelete

Comment