Saturday, March 27, 2010

Drainers and Fillers

A wise man once told me, "there are two kinds of people in the world. There are "fillers," who, once you've been around them, you feel "filled" with cheer and encouragement. And then there are the "drainers," the people who drain your emotional energy and make you feel discouraged. I only want to be a filler."

I like that. And I think that for some of us, being the "filler" takes a little more work. I want to try harder at being a bit more of an encourager - even with this blog - though I still want to be as transparent and honest as possible while I grapple and report on life here in "Boothland." It's a balancing act...or maybe an art.

Do you ever think about how you relate to other people? Are you a "drainer" or a "filler?"

1 comment:

  1. This is such an important fact of life to consider. IDK if working in a church makes me feel this more sharply or not, but the "joy suckers" sure make their presence felt.

    I'm not sure where I fall on this - I really don't think I drag anybody down - that's just not my disposition. However, I'm not sure I'm that good at filling people up, either. I tend to be a wallflower and don't actively engage folks. It takes a conscious act on my part to reach out to folks and sort of enter their "circle."

    Funny - it's so easy to categorize other people - I don't think we spend enough time looking at ourselves to determine where we would fit in this description...:)

    ReplyDelete

Comment